Mayfield School owes its origin as a school to the Queen Mary’s Foundation which included a Kindergarten for girls in the High School in Upper Forster Street in 1893. This junior part of the school was transferred to the recently purchased Mayfield in 1926 under Miss Bowes.
Mayfield House and grounds however have a long and interesting history earlier than this. In 1745 the land was know as The Birchfield Place and was owned by Matthew Stubbs. The eventual builder of the house was John Adams, a saddler’s ironmonger, Mayor of the town and Governor of Queen Mary’s who bought the land in 1816. The house is regency style and was build about 1820 with coach house and outbuildings. After John Adam’s death the property was put up for auction and was described in the catalogue as a spacious and excellent house, substantially built, fitted with handsome grates and marble chimney pieces in the principal rooms and comprising, entrance hall, dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, butler’s pantry, kitchens and cellars, stone staircase and back stairs, four chambers, dressing rooms, study, bath, water closet, laundry and six attics; together with coach house, three stall stables, harness and saddle room, granary, hay and straw lofts and all convenient out buildings; and the piece of land or lawn in which the house stands, containing 10 acres.
“This property is delightfully situated within a quarter mile of the town of Walsall, between the Birmingham and Sutton Roads, commands beautful views of surrounding country and forms a most desirable residence for a family of respectability”. Unfortunately, it does not appear to have been sold until 28th July 1835 when Richard Jesson, a well known local solicitor of Spring Grove House (Now the site of St. Mary’s RC Primary School) bought Mayfield House with its ten acres. Richard Jesson left Mayfield to his daughter Martha and his son in law Henry C Windle on his death in 1838. Martha was to outlive her husband and on her death the property was bought in 1862 by Henry F Brace, a local merchant, and Mayor for the preceding 2 years. His widow continued to make her home at Mayfield after his death in 1888 until she herself died in February 1911. Her memorial is the reredos behind the high alter at St Matthew’s church. Until 1914 Miss E J Brace lived at Mayfield, after which it was rented by John George Taylor. As sitting tenant he eventually bought the house and land in December 1920. Five years later he sold it, on 22nd April 1925, to the governors of Queen Mary’s Schools.
For twenty four years the house was the home of the junior department of the high school. After the 1944 education act, Mayfield became an Independent Preparatory School.